Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Preparing to document my vacation Part #1- The journal

Hello all,

It’s almost vacation time for me and this time I am serious about documenting it properly. I am hoping to make a whole 6x8 album……let’s see how it goes.

In anticipation, I have scoured YouTube and Pinterest for some ideas on how to best do that, what supplies to take etc. So eventually I arrived to the conclusion that I shall make my own mini Fauxdori type of journal, big enough to put small memorabilia like tickets and business cards, but also Instax photos. I haven’t used my Instax camera nearly as much as it deserves.

My plan is to make a pocket in the front or back of the album to then keep the Fauxdori insert in. I want to use that as a journaling aid. My memory is quit bad, but I do like details, they make the story come to life, so I think I will bullet journal in there.

Making the Fauxdori (5 1/4 x 5 1/2 in)

I have been wanting to make a denim-bound book for a long time and this was the best opportunity to try that. I actually made two, on trial and one for realSmile As I don’t sew, I had to resort to gluing my fabric around thicker cardstock scrapbook paper. It didn’t matter to me if it survives past this vacation, so there was no pressure to make it perfectly sturdy. I wanted it to small enough to fit in my purse. So I decided which jeans I want to sacrifice and went for it. I used double sided tape to bond the fabric and cardstock.

I have to add a note, that I used lighter denim fabric as I knew the real deal won’t stick with just double-sided tape and I was out of glue sticks.

I cut out the pockets and plan to attach it to front of the book. I want to find a nice ribbon first, but also, to bead and bedazzle the pocket. I will show you how it turned out in Part 2, hopefully next week.

The inserts are a simple notebook, I cut to make 2 smaller signatures. I still need to decorate those though. Instead of elastic, I used baker’s twine. Easy-peasy.

2016-08-03 21.00.062016-08-03 21.00.432016-08-03 21.01.23

Now all that is left is to decorate the journal and also decide what to supplies to take.

I would love to hear from you: What shall someone with limited luggage space take on a 3 week vacation home?  All suggestions are very appreciated.

 

Thank you, guys, and I hope to see you soon and…

Keep it crafty!

Love,

Vessy

No comments:

Post a Comment